Selection of the right threading and tapping process and tools is critical to producing high-quality thread. A thorough analysis of threaded and tapped holes will be sufficient to make it easy to decide the best option for the threading project.
Fasteners are utilized to secure mating parts in designing assemblies. Some holes are required to install fasteners, and threaded and tapped holes are found everywhere in various industries but need help understanding.
Both terms have similarities and differences, like using tools and surfaces for the process. Both types need clarification to fully understand the terminology of threaded holes vs. tapered holes.
How to Define Threaded Holes?
Threaded holes are similar to tapped holes, so what makes this process different? Its manufacturing process makes them different from other methods and tapping processes.
They are fabricated using a die tool in a threading process and can be added at the last step after the addition of all other elements easily using CNC machines. We use a forming tap or cutting tool to cut an internal thread.
Characteristics of Threaded Holes
Threaded holes are suitable for high-speed and cutting feeds, and they create threads with excellent finish and are highly accurate. This process can control the position and depth of thread and form thread in great form.
Threaded holes are good for hard material machining as they are easily machined the soft and hard material.
Threading uses state-of-the-art CNC technology and machines and can produce controllable small chips. The CNC machining process helps thread for long tool life, controlling process, and flexibility.
Advantages of Threaded Holes
- Controlling the fit is one main benefit of thread holes.
- They are milled at high speed, so it is easy to adjust thread size using the end mill strategy.
- They are good for exterior, huge thread holes using a thread mill.
- The investigation in a rigid tap is not required for this process because of single tool use.
- Cutting and threading difficult machining materials such as titanium and steel is possible with this process.
- Threaded holes are less risky due to low cutting forces and short chips. It is also less chance of tool damage and failure than in other processes.
- Threading provides secure machining operations and has superior cutting and milling conditions.
Applications of Threaded Holes
Some applications of threaded holes are as follows:
- You can utilize thread holes for bolts, screws, and nuts.
- We can make a wide range of hole-sized using a single tool.
- Single-tool use makes threaded holes cost-effective and reduces production time.
What is a Tapped Hole?
A tapped hole is used to install bolts or screws, and they are holes internally threaded where the start hole diameter differs from the end hole diameter. Thread formation on the interior diameter is carried out with a tap.
Some types of taps are extension taps, exotic taps, tapered taps, power taps, and hand taps. Work surfaces and tools applied in the process are the factors that make tapped and threaded holes different.
What Are the Specific Features of Tapped Holes?
Tapped holes have uniform quality threads and improve thread excellence. The tapped holes offer long tool life with a short cycle time, and this process can handle various types of materials such as steel alloys, carbon steel, cast iron, and stainless steel.
Tapping reduces the overall production cost by boosting output. It is a faster method and reduces the requirement of stacking different taps types.
Threading has rare design characteristics, and we can produce taps with fast speed on state-of-the-art CNC machines. High-speed production is the main factor of saving, efficiency, and reduced cycle time. It also improves thread quality.
What Are the Benefits of Using Tapped Holes in Parts Manufacturing?
- Production of tapped holes is carried out using different machining methods. Specific pitch and size must be according to thread size.
- We mostly utilized tapped holes in automotive and machinery, and for those applications needed removing fasteners.
- They need high-speed spindles and more time for the manufacturing process but ensure high precision.
Applications of Tapped Holes
Some applications of tapped holes are as follows:
- They are used for engineering applications.
- Tapped holes are used to protect cutting holders or tools.
- We can easily thread holes in less time and more quickly.
- Hard material can be used for tapping. Therefore, you can use them for steel and other hard material.
- The high speed makes them good options for many engineering and industrial applications.
Difference Between Threaded Holes and Tapped Holes
Some main differences between threaded holes and tapped holes are discussed below. These differences in their working procedure make the holes suitable for different industries and guarantee the usage of proper hole types.
- Threads on tapping can extend throughout the material, while threads on threaded holes are limited and stop after covering a short surface area.
- Screws and bolts of tapped holes can pass through the material and require a pre-drilled hole, while screws and bolts of threaded holes do not have this ability; they tread directly into the material and do not require a pre-drilled hole.
- Threaded holes are mostly used for those applications where fasteners are fixed. They are suitable for those applications where detachable fasteners are required per process requirements.
Tapped hole manufacturing completes in less time with a high speed than threading. The high speed of tapped holes with rigid taps creates a thread in less time than possible.
These holes are faster for machines than other types of holes.
Threading is the best process for high-volume part production and various holes size. It is good as it is carried out using a single tool for different thread sizes so that this process can save time in tool changes.
We cannot find tapping a flexible because we cannot change the thread after their formation process is completed. Conversely, you can modify the threading magnitude, making it more flexible than tapping.
The cost depends on the process used for making threads. Single-thread milling can prove more cost-effective if you are looking for a low-budget operation. It makes holes having different depths and diameters.
A single tool can make a wide range of hole sizes, reducing time and costs. While if we utilize various tap tools to fabricate threads, a single hole can increase tooling costs. Part damage is one main reason for high tooling costs.
The hard material is considered good for tapping, as steel is more suitable for tapped holes. But tapping and threading can be utilized for hard material but with some limitations, such as for those where fasteners cannot cut their thread.
Threaded Holes Vs. Tapped Holes: Common Traits and Characteristics
The utmost purpose of threading is single-piece manufacturing and creating screwed connections on metal parts. Threading is also used for repairing and ensures better structural and parts applications.
Milling machine with helical interpolation center used for threading. They guarantee reliable and efficient threading processes and outcomes. These terms apply to large holes; you can acquire thread pitch in one revolution.
Solid carbide and indexable tools are two possibilities for threaded milling. You can use solid carbide for small hole sizes- which is more expensive than indexable tools.
The indexable tool is inappropriate for small hole sizes, although it is more inexpensive than the solid carbide process.
Threaded Holes Vs. Tapped Holes: an Overview of Each Create Process
Several methods and machines are used for threading, but the most commonly used process is CNC Machining. While comparing both terms, we found that tapped holes are identical to thread holes.
Tapped holes are a process of creating internal threads. These internal threads are found within the interior of the hole.
You can make tapped holes quickly. This process uses a high-speed center and stiff tap to cut the hole. Steel is considered good for making tapped holes.
Along with lots of advantages, some flaws of tapping are also seen, such as:
- The increased cycle time to change tapping tools
- They cannot fine-tune; location and size are set in stone
- You may need a separate tap for each hole
- Application of unbending and hard taps for the production of interior thread
When discussing threaded holes, you may find this process more precise and versatile for hole manufacturing. It saves lots of time and money as compared to other processes.
The machine operator can change the thread size; rotational speed and a high-speed spindle are also critical.
Some threading operations are variable lead threads, internal and external threads, tapered threads, scroll threads, circular threads, and multi-start threads. These operations use for CNC lathe programming and need specific threading types and features.
If you need better threading quality, avoid tapping because these methods do not produce high-quality threads.
You can opt for threading, which uses the same size tool to force the chip. Thread milling is a better option for your parts designing and manufacturing.
Threaded Holes: Principle of Process
Proper knowledge of each method makes it easy to apply and manufacture. By following some easy steps, it is easy to cut threaded holes and tapped holes.
These steps are as below:
- In the first stage, cut a hole using a drill to get the desired diameter for your hole. Use the right drill to achieve the recommended depth and diameter for your parts, and spreading on cutting spray can increase the surface finish. Keep in mind to apply the cutting spray before thread hole manufacturing.
- Use and move a drill bit in the chunk to touch the hole edges, as it helps to get a smooth threading method and also proves helpful in aligning bolts. This process of chamfering improves the lifespan of your tool. It reduces the chances of burr development.
- In the third stage, flatten the hole using a motor and drill. Bolt size can fix the hole size, and to avoid mistakes, use a usual table. Try to create a hole as you require; the hole depth should be as you require.
Tapped Holes: Principle of Process
Tapped holes create internal threads so the fastener stay fixed, but this turning must be in a clockwise direction. Make a 180-degree anti-clockwise rotation to decrease the chip accumulation. It also makes room for cutting teeth.
Three taps are used for manufacturing tapped holes:
1- Taper tap is the first type with good strength and cutting pressure. They are good for blind holes, characterized by 6-7 cutting teeth. The Taper tap is not good for finish threading.
2- Plug tap is the second type recommended for thorough threaded and deep holes, and its mechanism implies an advanced cutting motion. This progressive cutting motion cuts the internal thread and uses after the taper tap but is not of good use when your drilled hole is close to the workpiece edge. Otherwise, breakage can happen as taps are not good for small-hole manufacturing.
3- Bottoming tap can be applied for deep holes, depending on your required depth and hole length. One or two cutting teeth at the tap beginning and machinists use this stage after the taper and plug tap step.
Kemal: Manufacturing Metal Parts and Prototypes for You
Kemal has large options for material selections to parts manufacturing, and you got an expert opinion for manufacturing threaded and tapped holes. Our experts deeply understand and know each process and help you make custom CNC parts.
We can cover all your manufacturing needs as we are an industry leader in CNC parts manufacturing and prototypes. Sourcing with Kemal guarantees your success and proves cost-effective for metal parts fabrication and machining solutions.
You must have a complete understanding and deep knowledge of machining thread cutting and manufacturing, so you should look for an expert and verified manufacturing company to discuss and find the expert opinion.
Kemal offers expert consultation and gives much importance to their customers’ problems. Our profound understanding and knowledge are the keynote for our successful business.
Why are you feeling hesitant to get in touch with us?
Explore the best CNC manufacturing company with high-quality threading and tapping services. We have a good historical record and many successful business projects with well-known companies to assure you of our good work and market reputation.
You can get threading and tapping services at a competitive price; contact us today!