Why Choose Us
- Talent Designers for Mold Design
- Over 25 Years of Technology Accumulation
- Over 20 Years Experiences Export Molds
- Creative Design Thinking
- Fluent English Technical Team
- Extremely Fast Response Speed
The DFM Analysis Service allows product designers to identify and fix any problems that might happen in the manufacturing phase to reduce costs.
Depending on various types of manufacturing processes there are set guidelines for DFM practices that help to precisely define various tolerances, rules, and common manufacturing checks.
MoldFlow provides simulation tools for injection mold design. By iterating molding simulations, our team can optimize product designs, mold designs, and prevent multiple modifications to the mold, reducing costs and time. The MoldFlow Analysis include:
- Plastic material analysis
- Wall thickness analysis
- Feed system analysis
- Processing conditions
- Filling process
- Filling time
- The pressure at V/P switchover
- The temperature at the flow front
- Sink marks estimate
- Average volumetric shrinkage
- Weld lines
- Defection—X, Y, Z—direction
- Air traps
- Injection Pressure & Clamp force
2D & 3D Mold design
With 2D & 3D design, we can help our clients figure out changes or improvements needed for the product. We can check all the details in the mold and avoid the possibility of mistakes.
The design software we use for this include:
Kemal will evaluate the mold design and communicate with our clients until both parties approve the mold design. During the mold design phase, the following will be shared with our clients:
- DFM Analysis report
- Moldflow Analysis report
- 2D mold design
- 3D mold design
Kemal Your Trusted Mold design Partner
Mold design is the soul of the mold industry. Only a good mold design can get a high-quality mold.
Kemal has a creative mold design team with an average experience of over 20 years.
We have designed more than 7500 sets of molds, Including automotive, medical, optical, home appliances, office equipment, etc. In order to ensure the quality of mold design, we have gone through DFM, Moldflow, 2D & 3D mold design, mold design approval, and other processes. Each step is completed through communication and consultation with customers to ensure those customer requirements can be met.
After 25 years of development, Kemal has set up its own strict mold design standards, which can fully meet the requirements of European, American, Asian, and other markets.
Now we focus on the design of stack mold, 2K mold, gas-assisted injection mold, multi-cavity mold, thin-walled mold, high tolerance precision mold. The number of cavities we have designed has reached 64, and the most stringent tolerance has reached + / -0.005mm.
Please contact our mold design service immediately, we will provide you mold design technical service by 7X24!
MOLD DESIGN: THE ULTIMATE FAQ GUIDE
As an expert in mold design for 25 years, Kemal can bring your ideas into reality. Here we would like to share this guide with you. Trust that you can obtain most of your queries and our company from it. If you find anything we can do to support you, please be free to contact us. We are available 24/7/365.
- What does Mold Design mean?
- Which software can be used for Mold Design?
- How many steps for Mold Design?
- What are the key points for Mold Design?
- What should we pay attention to for Hot Runner Mold Design?
- What should be paid attention to for hot runner design?
- How to judge the mold design is reasonable or not?
- What should we pay attention to the designing gate types for Mold Design?
- How many gate types in Mold Design?
- Why should we choose Edge Date for Mold Design?
- What are the advantages of the Fan Gate for Mold Design?
- What are the requirements of the Ejector System for Mold Design?
- How many Venting Ways for Mold Design?
- What are the design principles for Venting System in Mold Design?
- How to design the Parting Surface for Mold Design?
- What are the functions of Mold Design?
- What should be paid attention to for Slides Design in Mold Design?
- What should we consider for Steel Selection for Mold Design?
- What are the principles of designing the cooling system in Mold Design?
- What are the principles for 2K Injection Mold Design?
Q1: What does Mold Design mean?
Mold design refers to those who are engaged in the digital design of enterprise molds, including cavity molds and cold stamping dies, based on traditional mold design, and fully apply digital design tools to improve mold design quality and shorten mold design cycles.
Q2: Which software can be used for Mold Design?
Lots of software are suitable for mold design, such as UG, Pro/Engineer, AutoCAD, Cimatron, PowerMill Hypermill, Solidworks, WORKNC, Solid Edge, CATIA, etc.
For simple molds, CAD software is fast and easy to use; for molds with a messy structure and more curved surfaces, Pro-E, UG, Mastercam, Solidworks are good choices. Pro-E or UG is commonly used in drawings and production. Each software has its own characteristics. The important factor for choose is which one the mold designer is better at or prefers to use.
Q3: How many steps for Mold Design?
In the actual design process, according to the requirements of the design content, we need to consider the sequence of 2D drawing(s) or 3D drawing(s). Our mold design steps are listed as below FYR.
1.According to the customized plastic parts 2D and 3D drawings, we will organize the design data, analyze the structure, shape, and assembly dimensions of the plastic product (for example, analyze the rationality of the demolding angle during the molding process), in order to confirm whether the parameters of the injection molding equipment matches the relevant dimensions of the mold, cavity, production batch, steel requirements, etc., and then convert the data into design instructions.
2.We will determine the mold type, overall structure, mold cavity number, and layout of the cavities.
3.The parting surface will be confirmed by using 3D modeling for parting or 2D drawing for post-modeling).
4.We will decide the type of injection system, conduct Moldflow analysis, and confirm the gate form, location, and numbers.
5.To determine side core pulling structure and inclined top mechanism.
6.To confirm the mosaic structure.
7.Design of ejection and early return system.
8.Cooling and heating system design.
9.Guiding and positioning system design.
10.Selection of mold base (size of the template, cavity, core, etc.). Make the assemblies diagram of the mold base, and try to design according to the standard mold base.
Q4：What are the key points for Mold Design?
1. The overall layout of the mold is reasonable
2. Parting surface selection
3. Layout of 3 runners, selection of glue inlet
4. ejection device
5. water transport arrangement
6. exhaust options
7. Pay attention to the draft angle when parting the mold, the extraction of inserts, the treatment of the rubbing angle, and the selection of material shrinkage
8. Processing drawings should be detailed, but simple.
All in all, mold design must consider the ability to demold! Easy to process and to eject!
Q5: What should we pay attention to for Hot Runner Mold Design?
1.To determine the gate location according to the plastic part structure and usage requirements. As long as the structure allows, the nozzle and nozzle head in the fixed mold insert does not interfere with the molding structure, and the gate of the hot runner system can be at any position of the plastic part. The position of the injection gate for conventional plastic injection molding is usually selected based on experience. For large and complex special-shaped plastic parts, the position of the injection molding feed inlet can be simulated by computer-aided analysis (CAE) to simulate the flow of molten plastic in the cavity, analyze the cooling effect of each part of the mold, and determine the ideal gate location.
2.Determining the nozzle head form of the hot runner system. Product material and use characteristics are the key factors for choosing the nozzle head form, and the production batch of plastic parts and the manufacturing cost of the mold are also important factors for choosing the nozzle head form.
3.The number of cavities per mold is determined by the production batch of the product and the tonnage of the injection machine.
4.The number of nozzles is determined by the position of the glue inlet and the number of cavities per mold. If you form a product, choose one mold and one feed inlet, you only need one nozzle, that is, use a single-head hot runner system; if you form a product, choose one mold with multiple cavities or one mold with one cavity with more than two feeds If you want to open the nozzle, you need multiple nozzles, that is, a multi-head hot runner system is used, except for the mold structure with a cross runner.
5.To decide the radial size of the nozzle accords to the weight of the plastic part and the number of nozzles. At present, the nozzles of the same form have multiple size series, which meet the requirements of forming plastic parts in different weight ranges.
6.Deciding the mold structure size according to the plastic part structure, then select the nozzle standard-length series size according to the thickness of the fixed mold insert and the fixed template, and finally trim the thickness of the fixed template and other dimensions related to the hot runner system.
7.Confirming the shape of the hot runner fixing plate according to the shape of the hot runner plate, arrange the power cord lead groove on the plate, and design an adequate cooling water loop near the hot runner plate, nozzles, and nozzle heads.
Q6: What should be paid attention to for hot runner design?
Hot runner injection is always used for injection mold design, so what should be paid attention to when designing a hot runner?
1.The guidepost of the hot nozzle needs to be protected, the height must be higher than the superheat nozzle, and two locking screws are required. It cannot be locked from the panel to the end for easy assembly and disassembly.
2.The ground side needs to add a drainage channel, 3-5mm deep, and a pressurized line board. The cavity can be reduced with the cut body sent by the hot nozzle company, but there can be no sharp corners in the frame to avoid scratches Hot mouth or hot mouth line.
3.Open hot nozzle, there is only 3mm at the sealing part, and the top surface of the hot nozzle is 0.2-0.5mm lower than the runner or PL. It is used to release the thermal expansion of the hot nozzle. The cavity in the mold core uses the picture given by the hot nozzle company. The files are cut down and no changes can be made.
4.EWIKON hot nozzle point, keep 0.3mm straight at the sharp point to avoid multiple abrasion of the nozzle, the steel material is damaged here.
5.For MOLDMASTER open hot nozzle to feed glue, you need to avoid 0.2mm in the air according to the drawing of the hot nozzle company to release the thermal expansion of the hot nozzle. In other places, cut the cavity according to the drawings given by the hot nozzle company.
6.The MOLDMASTER needle valve hot nozzle is used to feed the glue, leaving 0.7mm to seal the glue, and other parts are cut according to the drawings given by the hot nozzle company.
7.GUNTHER hot nozzle points the glue, you need to keep 0.3mm straight to avoid multiple wears of the nozzle and damage to the steel.
Q7. How to judge the mold design is reasonable or not?
Reasonable mold design is mainly reflected in the following four aspects.
1.The quality of the manufactured plastic products (both appearance quality and dimensional stability).
2.Convenient, fast, concise, saving money and manpower during processing and manufacturing, as well as leaving room for mold correction and improvement.
3.Safe, reliable, and easy to maintain the mold during usage.
4.In injection molding, sometimes there is a shorter molding cycle and longer service life, also a reasonable mold manufacturing process.
Q8. What should we pay attention to the designing gate types for Mold Design?
For mold design, the gate design is usually based on experience, and the size of the gate depends on the cross-sectional area and gate length:
1. The cross-sectional area of the gate is as small as possible, and the length of the channel is as short as possible to ensure the appearance of the finished product and reduce the pressure loss when the plastic passes.
2. The gate must be narrow to facilitate the cold formation and prevent excessive plastic from flowing back, so the gate is in the center of the runner.
Q9. How many gate types in Mold Design?
For mold design, in order to obtain the best filling condition, the type of gate must be selected carefully. Common gates have the following types: sprue gate, edge gate, overlap gate, fan gate, diaphragm gate, ring gate, film gate, pin-point gate, submarine gate, tab gate, and hook gate, etc.
Q10. Why should we choose Edge Date for Mold Design?
In-mold design, the side gate is a commonly used type, and its structure is the simplest one. It is only processed on one side of the mold. And this gate connects the runner and the finished product.
Here are several reasons for choosing an edge gate for mold design.
1.The section area is simple and easy to process.
2.The size is easy to accurately control and quickly improve.
3.When plastic is filled, the finished product is easy to control.
4.It is easily affected by the cooling and solidification of the gate and all plastics.
Q11. What are the advantages of the Fan Gate for Mold Design?
Fan gate is one of the gates types for mold design. And here are some advantages of this gate type for your reference.
1.It is suitable for large-scale and thin-walled plastic injection products.
2.When the resin flows into the mold, the plastic flows from the thinness and expands to form the plastic with good fluidity, reducing the flow pattern and the water trapping pattern.
3.Fan gate is appropriate for any plastic, especially PMMA, except for rigid PVC.
Q12. What are the requirements of the Ejector System for Mold Design?
The requirement of the ejector system is to demould the product without deformation and accurately within the specified time. Here are 7 points to be considered for mold design.
1.The ejection stroke generally stipulates that the ejected product is 5~10mm away from the mold. For some simple cylindrical products with a large demolding slope, the stroke can be 2/3 of the product depth. Don’t be too long, because the ejector rod is very thin and has a long stroke, which is easy to damage the ejector rod.
2.The reset rod (return rod) must be set in the ejection system to help the ejector rod return. During the ejection process, the ejector backing plate bears great ejection pressure. When the strength and rigidity are insufficient, the flexible deformation affects the ejector movement. Pay attention to the screw connection (need to be screwed in from the backing plate to the fixed plate) to avoid insufficient wrench space Difficulties.
3.The relationship between the top of the ejector pin and the plane of the core (or cavity) should theoretically be on the same plane, which is convenient for mold manufacturing and assembly. In practice, most of the end surface of the ejector pin exceeds or lowers the core (or cavity) plane by 0.05~0.1mm, Negotiate with the designer to obtain the permission of the inner surface of the product with bosses and pits.
4.The shape and size of the ejector pin. Unless the shape of the product is limited, other ejector pins must be used. Generally, cylindrical ejectors are used, and elongated ejector pins with a diameter less than 3mm should be avoided.
5.Due to the large size of the ejector pin fixing plate and the backing plate, the span between the movable mold backing plate is enlarged. Under higher injection pressure, the movable mold backing plate may be deformed, causing the ejector pin to move poorly or jam In addition to increasing the thickness of the movable mold backing plate to enhance its rigidity, a support column can also be set between the movable mold fixing plate and the backing plate.
6.When the output of the product is large or the ejection stroke is long, use a thinner ejector pin, and when the ejector tube is used for ejection and the movable mold fixing plate is equipped with an elongated core, it is used to protect the ejector pin (or long core). Its movement is stable, the ejection system needs to be equipped with a guiding device, and there are positioning pins between the movable template and the seat cushion bar and the movable mold fixing plate to ensure positioning accuracy.
7.Where the product has plastic surrounding the steel part, it will be difficult to demold. This is caused by the phenomenon of “holding” the steel part due to the shrinkage stress of the plastic melt after cooling. Therefore, these places (ribs, columns) are Should be considered.
Q13. How many Venting Ways for Mold Design?
In mold design, the injection mold exhaust system is the exhaust of the cavity and the gating system, which mainly includes the air in the cavity, the air in the runner, and the steam of the moisture in the plastic at high temperature. These gases must be discharged in time to avoid affecting the quality of the plastic parts. The exhaust method in the injection mold includes the following 7 ways: ① Parting surface (including venting groove); ② Insert fitting surface; ③ Fitting surface of pushrod or push tube and inner mold insert; ④ Exhaust of side core pulling mechanism; ⑤ Adding a vent needle or insert to exhaust the trapped air; ⑥ Ventilate steel exhaust; ⑦ Exhaust valve.
Q14. What are the design principles for Venting System in Mold Design?
In mold design, according to the seven exhaust methods of the exhaust system, the general exhaust system design principles need to follow these rules.1. The exhaust slot can only exhaust gas, and can’t melt the plastic.
2. Different plastics have different exhaust groove depths due to different viscosity.
3. The cavity should be designed with an exhaust slot, and the runner and cold material cavity should also be designed with an exhaust slot to make the gas in the gate system enter the cavity as little as possible.
4. The exhaust groove must be open to the outside of the mold base, especially when exhausting through the insert, exhaust needle or exhaust insert.
5. Use a milling machine to process as many exhaust slots as possible. After treatment, use 320 sandpaper to polish to remove knife marks. Try to avoid using the grinder on the exhaust slot. The surface of the grinder is too smooth and the exhaust effect is usually not good.
6. The vent groove on the parting surface should be set on the side of the cavity, usually designed on the fixed mold insert.
7. Both sides of the exhaust groove should have a 45° chamfer.
Q15. How to design the Parting Surface for Mold Design?
For mold design, the design of the parting surface is very important, because it will directly affect the mold structure, the difficulty of mold processing, and the cost of mold design and manufacturing. Here are some tips for designing the parting surface in mold design.
1.Conform to the demolding of plastic parts: In order to make the plastic parts can be taken out of the mold, the position of the parting surface should be set at the part of the largest size of the plastic part section.
2.Number and shape of parting surface: usually only one parting surface perpendicular to the direction of mold opening movement is used. Determining the fractal surface should be based on the principle of convenient mold manufacturing and demolding.
3.The choice of cavity: try to prevent the formation of side holes and undercuts to avoid using more complicated mold structures.
4.Ensure surface quality: try not to choose a smooth outer surface of the plastic part for the parting surface to avoid affecting the appearance quality of the plastic part; place the part that requires coaxially on the same side of the parting surface. In order to ensure the coaxiality of the plastic parts, it is necessary to consider reducing the size difference requirements caused by the large and small ends of the plastic parts.
5.Facilitate the demolding of plastic parts: Since the demolding mechanism of the mold is usually set on the side of the movable mold, try to keep the plastic parts on the side of the movable mold as much as possible after the mold is opened.
6.Considering the lateral shaft pull distance. Generally, the lateral shaft pulling distance of the mechanical parting core-pulling mechanism is relatively small. Therefore, when selecting the parting surface, the direction of core pulling or parting distance should be placed in the direction of opening and closing of movable and fixed molds. The short-shaft pull distance is used as a lateral parting or core pulling. And we need to pay attention to put the side core pull on the side of the movable mold to avoid the fixed mold core pull.
7.Requirements for locking the mold: the lateral clamping force is small, so for large plastic parts with a larger projected area, the direction of the larger projected area should be placed in the clamping direction of the moving and fixed molds, and The direction with the smaller projected area is regarded as the lateral parting surface.
8.Conducive to exhaust. When the parting surface is used as the main exhaust channel, the parting surface should be designed at the end of the plastic flow to facilitate the exhaust.
9.Mould parts are easy to process.
Q16. What are the functions of Mold Design?
The insert in the mold specifically refers to the irregular mold accessories used to be embedded in the mold, which plays the role of fixing the template and filling the space between the template. It has the following functions.
1.Good for venting.
2.Easy to process.
3.Good polishing effect.
4.Easy for marking.
5.Areas that are prone to breakage or wear are replaceable.
6.BeCu insert helps heat dissipation.
Q17. What should be paid attention to for Slides Design in Mold Design?
Problems that should be paid attention to when designing the Slides are listed below.
1) The core pulling distance should be at least 3mm greater than the undercut depth.
2) The slide must be designed with a bumping plane. Normally, the data on the part drawing should be taken from the datum plane, and the datum plane should not be changed at will during processing.
3) If the plastic position of the core slide has a requirement for appearance clamping, the slide must be extended into the cavity side as a tube position to facilitate subsequent mold polishing.
4) Treatment of the inclination of the sealing position of the core side.
5) When the core slide extends into the plastic area, the extending part must be inclined, in order to be convenient for mold fitting and friction reduction.
6) The slide and its accessories should be easy to install and disassemble.
7) Slide should avoid sharp corners.
Q18. What should we consider for Steel Selection for Mold Design?
In mold design, choosing mold steel needs to follow three principles: satisfying work requirements such as wear resistance, strength and toughness; meeting process requirements; and conforming economic applicability.
1.Satisfying work requirements.
The wear resistance of the material is one of the most basic and important properties of the mold.
Hardness is the main factor affecting wear resistance. In general, the higher the hardness of the mold parts, the smaller the amount of wear and the better the wear resistance. In addition, wear resistance is also related to the type, quantity, shape, size, and distribution of carbides in the material.
The working environment of the mold is usually very harsh, and some often bear a large impact load, which leads to brittle fracture. In order to prevent sudden brittle fracture of mold parts during work, the mold must have high strength and toughness.
The toughness of the mold mainly depends on the carbon content, grain size, and organization state of the material.
C)Fatigue fracture performance
In the mold work process, under the long-term action of cyclic stress, fatigue fracture is often caused.
The fatigue fracture performance of the mold mainly depends on its strength, toughness, hardness, and the content of inclusions in the material.
D) High-temperature performance
When the working temperature of the mold is high, the hardness and strength will decrease, leading to early wear of the mold or plastic deformation and failure. Therefore, the mold material should have high anti-tempering stability to ensure that the mold has high hardness and strength at standard operating temperatures.
E)Heat and cold fatigue resistance
Some molds are in a state of repeated heating and cooling during the working process, which causes the surface of the cavity to be subjected to tension and pressure to stress, causing surface cracks and peeling, increasing friction, hindering plastic deformation, and reducing dimensional accuracy, resulting in Mold failure. Hot and cold fatigue is one of the main forms of failure of hot work molds, so this type of mold should have high resistance to cold and heat fatigue.
When some molds such as plastic molds are in operation, due to the presence of chlorine and fluorine in the plastic, strong corrosive gases such as HCI and HF will be resolved after heating, which will erode the surface of the mold cavity, increase its surface roughness, and aggravate wear failure. So these molds should be of corrosion resistance.
2.Meeting process requirements
The manufacturing of molds generally involves several processes such as forging, cutting, and heat treatment. In order to ensure the quality of the mold and reduce the production cost, the mold design should take into account that its material should have good forge ability, machinability, hardenability, and grind ability; it should also have small oxidation and desorption, carbon sensitivity and the tendency of quenching deformation and cracking.
3.Conforming economic applicability
When designing molds and selecting materials for molds, the principle of the economy must be considered to reduce manufacturing costs as much as possible. Therefore, under the premise of satisfying the use performance, we firstly choose lower-priced materials. Unless the customer has specified steel material.
In addition, the production and supply of the market should also be considered when selecting materials. The selected steel grades should be as few and concentrated as possible and easy to buy.
Q19. What are the principles of designing the cooling system in Mold Design?
1. Under the premise of ensuring sufficient mechanical strength of the steel material, the cooling system should be arranged as close to the surface of the cavity (core) as possible. And the distance of them to the cavity should be as equal as possible to enhance cooling and make the mold temperature uniform.
2. Under the premise of ensuring sufficient mechanical strength of the steel, the cooling system should be arranged as close as possible.
3. The diameter of the cooling system is preferably 10mm, and the diameter of each channel should be the same as possible.
4. Large molds can divide the cooling system into several independent circuits to increase the flow of coolant, reduce pressure loss, and improve heat transfer efficiency. Because the cooling circuit is too long, it will cause a large temperature gradient change, resulting in a high temperature at the end of the cooling system, thereby affecting the cooling effect.
5. The thick parts of the product wall should be specially cooled. Or use strengthening measures at the thin wall to make the mold temperature uniform.
6. We should fully consider the thermal conductivity of the mold material, and BeCu inserts can be used to dissipate heat in areas that cannot be reached by cooling and must be cooled.
7. The cooling inlet should be close to the gate. Because of the high temperature near the gate, this area should be strongly cooled.
8. For multi-cavity molds, try to separately design cooling in each cavity for easy control.
9. The cooling layout should be as consistent as possible with the product shape.
10. Larger slides and angle lifters also need to be equipped with cooling. Because lacking cooling will affect the quality of product.
11. For molds with heating tubes or high temperatures, the guide pillars need to be equipped with cooling to cool them according to the situation to prevent them from being burned by high temperatures and being damaged during movement.
12. When the pipe connector and the plug are in the same direction, the nearest distance between the center is not less than 25mm, the distance between the cooling and the product is generally not less than 10mm, and the design is between 10mm-12mm as much as possible. Besides, the alloy mold is generally 25mm.To determine the diameter of the cooling water hole, attention should be paid to: no matter how large the mold is, the diameter of the water hole cannot be over 14mm, otherwise it will be difficult to form the cooling.
Generally, the diameter of the water hole can be determined according to the average thickness of the product.
Q20. What are the principles for 2K Injection Mold Design?
For the 2K injection Mold design, there are 3 principles that should be followed.
1.The first principle: Determine the viscosity of the combination of hard plastic and soft plastic. In addition, note that the melting point of hard rubber is higher than that of soft rubber.
2.The second principle: Confirm that the second shot of soft plastic and the first shot of hard plastic cannot fall off after molding.
3.The third principle: Combine the company’s existing two-color injection machine for mold design.