Optical Parts & Mold Manufacturing Capabilities
Manufacturing Your Optical parts with Injection Mold Expert
One-Stop Solution for Your Injection Optical parts Manufacturing
An effective detail-oriented design approach is the basis of optical part development to customize each optical part for the customer.
Reasonable design of optical parts mold structure can effectively extend the service life of the mold, ensure the smooth production of the mold, improve efficiency, and reduce cost.
The world-class intelligent machine has developed a durable mold manufacturing process through the historical data of optical parts, which keeps the stability of high precision mold manufacturing process of optical parts.
Optical Parts Injection Molding
With Clean Room Injection molding to guarantee the High-Quality Optical parts molding from manufacturing to delivery.
Assembly & Packaging
We have many years of experience in assembling and complete the packaging of optical components.
Why Kemal can be Your Reliable Optical Parts Supplier?
- Committed to lean manufacturing techniques.
- Highly skilled engineer-experience ranges from 5 years to 24 years.
- Experience in the complex, high precision mold.
- 24 hours online service: Providing free consultation and quotation services.
Experienced on Optical Mold Manufacturing
Kemal Molded Your Plastic injection optical parts.
Kemal owns 19 precision CNC machines, 5 precision wire-cutting machines, 5 HIGH-precision EDM, 15 machine tools, and 12 high-precision grinding machines, so that we can keep high precision mold manufacturing. Our optical parts injection capacity is strong, the tonnage of injection molding machine from 90 tons to 600 tons, a total of more than 40 injection molding machines. Kemal has a Perfect quality control system.
Our company has passed ISO9001 quality management system certification. All-optical components must be qualified by measuring instruments before using two CMM and two optical projection measuring instruments.
Kemal has a strong design and development team: mold design 15 people, product development 6 people. The 90 mold making technicians and the 30 design and project engineers are rich in optical parts mold manufacturing and injection molding. The Perfect project management process helps us produce and deliver the optical parts On-time.
We could provide a One-stop global solution Service. Our English professional technical service team responds quickly and works closely with our customers, serving them 24 hours and seven days. All quotations will be replied to within one day.
OPTICAL PARTS: THE ULTIMATE FAQ GUIDE
Since the reform and opening-up, China’s optical industry has been gradually oriented towards the market and the world and has been maintaining rapid growth momentum. The development of the optical industry is changing day by day, and the technology is constantly being upgraded and gradually applied in the communication industry, medical devices, the automotive industry, and the information industry.
1. What is optical parts?
2. What is the application of optical parts?
3. What is the material of optical parts?
4. What is the material property of optical parts?
5. What’s the advantage of plastic optical parts?
6. What’s the disadvantage of plastic optical parts?
7. What’s the key point to design optical parts?
8. What is the key point to design optical molds?
9. What is the common steel of optical molds?
10. What is the cleanroom requirement of optical molds?
11. What is optical injection molding?
12. What is the ejection method of optical lenses?
13. What’s the key point to debug the machine of optical molds?
14. Why choose plastic material for lenses?
15. How to machine the cavities of optical molds?
16. How to machine aspheric optical molds?
17. How to solve the streak problem of optical molds?
18. How to maintain the optical molds?
19. How does Kemal manage my optical project?
20. How can Kemal ensure the quality of my optical project?
21. Why choose Kemal as my optical project partner?
1.What is optical parts?
Optical parts, also known as optical elements. The basic component unit of an optical system. Most optical components play an imaging role, such as lenses, prisms, mirrors, etc. There are also some parts that play a special role in the optical system (e.g. spectroscopy, image transmission, filtering.), such as scribing plates, filters, gratings for optical fibers, etc.
2.What is the application of optical parts?
Optical products are used in a wide range of applications, for example.
(1) Cameras, mobile phone photo modules, magnifying glasses.
(2) Automotive headlights, dashboard lighting, street lighting, home lighting, work lighting.
(3) Projectors, laser TVs, rear projection TVs.
(4) Surveillance lenses.
(5) Microscope, endoscope, periscope, astronomical telescope, quantum communication system.
(6) VR/AR optical modules.
(7) Laser resonant cavities, laser devices, laser fusion systems.
(8) Lithography equipment.
(9) Military optical equipment, medical optical equipment, bio-optical equipment, etc.
3.What is the material of optical parts?
Commonly used transparent materials PMMA, TPX, ADC, OZ1000, PS, PC, COC, PSU, SAN, PET, PVC, MBS, TPU, POM, other materials.
4.What is the material property of optical parts?
Common optical plastics that are used for practical production applications. The following are commonly used as optical plastics.
Polymethyl methacrylate PMMA is commonly known as organic glass, its light transmission (92%) is comparable to inorganic glass. PMMA has high hardness, low dispersion, good weather resistance, and easy processing. PMMA is one of the most used all-optical plastics and can meet the general requirements of manufacturing transparent parts without special requirements.
(2) TPX is the only crystalline polymer among optical plastics (40% to 65% crystallinity), with similar refractive indices in the crystalline and amorphous parts, resulting in good transparency. Lightweight and low hardness.
(3) ADC has good optical properties, chemical stability, high-temperature resistance, and a surface hardness 40 times higher than PMMA, the hardest of the existing optical plastics.
(4) OZ1000 optical plastic has low dispersion, high transmittance, small birefringence, saturated water absorption is only 1/10 of PMMA, its optical properties are comparable to PMMA, and heat resistance is better than PMMA, suitable for precision molding of high-precision lenses.
(5) PS has low water absorption, good dimensional stability of the lens, easy coloring, easy processing, but the mechanical properties are poor, not heat-resistant, low surface hardness, brittleness, easy to produce silver, and cracks, the scope of application is limited.
(6) PC is currently produced in large quantities based on bisphenol A. PC has the advantages of high impact strength, good dimensional stability, high mechanical properties, and low hygroscopicity. It has been used in areas with high requirements for transparency and impact strength, such as optical parts, lighting fixtures, high-speed aircraft cockpits, etc.
(7) Cyclic Olefin Copolymers (COC) and Cyclic Olefin Polymers (COP) are both high-performance plastics with high transparency, mainly used for high precision optical products and emerging in medical packaging applications.
(8) PSU is a high-performance engineering plastic with high hardness and impact strength, resistant to steam, hydrolysis, non-toxic, high-temperature steam sterilization, high transparency, good dimensional stability and can be used for long periods of time at -100 to 175 degrees.
5.What’s the advantage of plastic optical parts?
Advantages of optical plastics:
(1)The ability to produce large quantities and reduce manufacturing costs.
(2)The possibility of designing very complex shapes.
(3)Lightweight and impact resistance.
The optical surface and the positioning surface can be pressed out at the same time. Reduced system assembly costs.
(4)Consistent quality of parts.
6.What’s the disadvantage of plastic optical parts?
(1) Optical plastics have a narrow range of refractive indices and dispersion coefficients, limiting the scope of choice. Moreover, the refractive index is greatly influenced by the temperature.
(2) The coefficient of thermal expansion of plastics is large.
(3) The heat resistance of plastics is poor, the use of temperature is limited
(4) The chemical resistance of plastics is worse than that of glass.
7.What’s the key point to design the optical part?
The design of the optical part structure is very important to obtain the best surface quality and minimum dimensional tolerances. The design also indicates the dimensional tolerances of the optical part. Common design principles are as follows: avoid partial wall thickness of the optical part, resulting in shrinkage; control the size of the minimum wall thickness (material decision); in the optical part surface can not have holes, slots, etc., to prevent the formation of fusion marks; wall thickness changes can not be too large, choose a smooth transition; keep the wall thickness of optical part uniform.
As the stability of plastic is worse than glass, so the accuracy of the refractive index of plastic optical part is lower than that of glass optical part. In general, under standard environmental conditions, the refractive index of plastic optical parts varies in a range greater than 1%, and changes in refractive index will cause changes in the focal length of the optical part. From physical experiments, it is clear that the focal length of the common spherical optical part is determined by the refractive index n, the thickness of the optical part T, and the radius of the ball R. And these three parameters have different effects on the focal length, of which the refractive index n has the greatest impact. To reduce the refractive index of change, the optical part design must be strictly marked with geometric tolerance and processing accuracy.
8.What is the key point to design optical molds?
Design, manufacture, and processing of plastic optical molds have higher requirements than general precision plastic molds, not only to overcome common injection molded products in injection molding defects, but more importantly to achieve the actual optical specifications, so in the process of mold design and processing, it is necessary to master the characteristics of lens molding, including accurate mold cavity dimensional tolerances, analysis of the range of dimensional errors after lens molding, the development of a reasonable cavity precision machining process, molding conditions and injection molding
9.What is the common steel of optical molds?
Selection of transparent molds steel
(1) ASSAB S136
(2) ASSAB 420
(3) Daido NAK80
(4) Daido S-STAR
or we can do per your request.
10.What is the cleanroom requirement of optical molds?
The wall and roof of the cleanroom for optical injection molding are generally made of 50mm thick sandwich color steel plate and special aluminum oxide profile for purification; the door is made of purification sealed door and the window is made of aluminum alloy glass fixed window.
The floor is made of epoxy self-leveling or high-grade wear-resistant plastic dust-free flooring; the ventilation ducts are made of galvanized thin steel plates, and “PEF” flame-retardant insulation boards are used for insulation.
Specific standards are as follows.
① Air change times: 10-15 times/hour for 100,000 grade; 15-25 times/hour for 10,000 grade; 50-52 times/hour for 1,000 grade; 0.25-0.35m/s wind speed for 100 grade operating table section.
② Differential pressure: main workshop to adjacent rooms ≥ 5Pa.
③ Temperature: winter >16℃±2℃; summer <26℃±2℃.
④ Relative humidity: 45-65% (RH)
⑥ Fresh air supplement: 20%-30% of the total air supply volume
⑦ Illumination: ≥300Lux.
11.What is optical injection molding?
Optical injection molding is the injection of a quantitative amount of optical plastic heated to fluid into a stainless steel mold, which is molded under heated and pressurized conditions. After cooling and curing, the mold is opened and the required optical plastic part is obtained.
12.What is the ejection method of optical lenses?
Optical lenses are widely used in existing optical applications due to their excellent light transmission, good dispersion, excellent mouldability, lightweight, low thermal conductivity, and good anti-fogging properties. In areas with high requirements for imaging, such as mobile phones and car lenses, to ensure excellent imaging, the entire lens module part with high appearance requirements must also be subject to strict precision control, and to reduce accumulated errors, the single-lens part must have strict dimensional and form tolerances before assembly, which also places higher demands on the lens forming process.
Currently, to avoid the corresponding defects in the molding of optical lenses during ejection, two types of ejection are usually available for optical lenses in general: one is core ejection and the other is ejector ejection; the ejector solution has better control of product defects such as product ejection off-shape and eccentricity, and to prevent product defects such as burr, a tab is usually designed on the core to prevent burr on the bearing surface.
13.What’s the key point to debug the machine of optical molds?
(1) Product angle (divided into positive and negative how much is generally agreed by the optical engineer and customer communication).
(2) Size (divided into length, width, and height is also a positive and negative ratio), refer to the drawing to adjust the machine.
(3) Injection molding optical products are not measured with the eye, there are optical instruments to measure. So the mold must be installed before and after the mold to connect the mold temperature and electric heating rod. To wait for the mold temperature on, and use the probe temperature table to measure the mold temperature qualified before beer goods.
14.Why choose plastic material for lenses?
Optical plastics are increasingly used in the camera industry because of their transparency, lightweight, low price, and ease of mass production. Plastic lenses dominate the framing optics of almost all types of cameras; plastic optical imaging objectives are used in almost all single-use cameras with film, and an increasing number of popular cameras are using optical plastic objectives.
15.How to machine the cavities of optical molds?
The machining methods for the cavities of optical mold can usually be divided into two categories. One is the optical grinding and polishing method, which is mainly used to machine spherical cavities. This is done through lathe machining, roughing, finishing, fitting, setting, rough grinding, fine grinding, and polishing. The key to the success of this type of machining in the selection of high-performance cavities steel, good control of the concentricity of the optical axis and mechanical center requirements (eccentricity C < 0.02mm), as well as reasonable grinding and polishing adjustment process. The other type is the use of mechanical super-finishing methods, mainly processing non-spherical surfaces. This method is carried out on a high-precision lathe with an air-floating spindle.
16.How to machine aspheric optical molds?
Due to the lower working temperature of optical plastic molding, the requirements for molds are somewhat lower than those for glass molding dies. The ultra-precision processing of aspheric molds is quite difficult, and the usual processing is to first grind the mold blanks into approximate aspheric surfaces on the CNC machine tools, then gradually improve the surface accuracy and surface roughness of aspheric surfaces with the Fan Cheng precision grinding method, and finally process them into the required surface accuracy and surface roughness with the polishing method. However, due to the relatively low machining accuracy of CNC machine tools, the mold needs to be repeatedly tested and modified during the mold processing process to gradually improve the molding accuracy, thus making the cost of the mold high. The molds, therefore, are ultra-precision machined with computer numerical control ultra-precision aspheric machining machines with good rigidity and high resolution and aspheric uniform polishing machines. First of all, the computer numerical control ultra-precision aspheric machine tool is used to process the die blank with a surface shape accuracy of ±0.1μμm aspheric surface, and then the polishing machine is used to lightly polish the aspheric surface evenly under the condition of keeping the surface shape accuracy of the aspheric surface unchanged, about 0.01μm is thrown away so that the roughness of the mold surface is improved.
17.How to solve the streak problem of optical molds?
The main reasons for the streak in mirror polishing of optical molds are:
(1). Most of them are caused by the uneven metallographic structure of the steel.
(2). The polishing time is too long and the speed of the polishing tool is too high, causing microstructural changes due to the heating of the high steel surface.
Our traditional polishing process is to use tinfoil or sandpaper to stick to the top of the wool felt, and use the grinding tool to rotate and grind with the drilling plaster to smooth the surface of the steel and then polish it to improve the streak, but it is not complete, and the streak on the sidewall of the mold cavity, the dead corner, and the curved surface cannot be solved.
Kemal has 20 years of experience in optical mold making and has a polishing technique that is superior to the traditional one: using copper and drilling plaster to grind reciprocally on the steel surface, smoothing out the bumps on the steel surface and then polishing;
It is suitable for mold cavity dead ends, narrow strips, weld scars, and mirror polishing of super hard materials.
18.How to maintain the optical molds?
Optical molds can produce bright, non-shrinking, non-melt marks, and other defects.
The production process usually requires a mold temperature, hot runners, a bright cavity, and good fluidity within the mold, a choice of high-performance mirror plastic mold steel made.
Mold maintenance is more important, the better the maintenance, the longer the life of the mold, the following are a few maintenance methods.
(1) Apply anti-rust oil, keep the mold inside clean and smooth. The moving parts of the mold, such as the line position, guide bush and ejector pin, should be oiled to keep the mold surface bright and clean, clean the surface of the flame retardant and stubborn dirt, to ensure smooth flow, is the basic homework of maintenance, and will be recorded to the mold history card, including its use, the degree of wear and tear, molding process parameters, etc., for the relevant process production personnel reference, in order to improve production efficiency.
(2) Regular cleaning of the exhaust slots, regular inspection of the molds and correction of wear areas, etc.
(3) The surface maintenance of the molds is important as it directs the surface quality of the product. we need to paint the outer side of the mold base to avoid rusting and use a high-grade rust inhibitor when taking down the mold to ensure isolation from air contact and prevent rusting.
(4) When cleaning optical molds, a high-density paper towel should be used to spray with a high-grade cleaning agent to scrub gently from top to bottom, not back and forth, not using medicine cotton and cloth, and not using a high-pressure air gun to blow directly, as any debris water gas in the air pipe will cause damage to the working surface.
(5) After the production, please clean the mold to prevent the cavities from rusting.
19. How does Kemal manage my optical project?
(1) Anticipate possible problems and make timely adjustments by analyzing the physical properties of the material and the viability of the optical part, such as wall thickness, deformation, and gate location.
(2) Keep communicating with you to understand the functional requirements and considerating the optical part of your point.
(3) Strict design review system and checklist. Before design, designers conduct self-inspection based on the checklist; and review with the manufacturing department.
(4) Arrange for a project manager to manage your optical project so that the optical project is strictly controlled according to schedule.
(5) Each steel material is supplied with a certificate.
(6) Quality checks are carried out at every step of the process, from project inception to fabrication and final optical parts inspection.
(7) Each optical project has a set of quality inspection reports for easy traceability.
(8) Weekly progress reports and mold photos are provided to you.
(9) Online mold test videos are available to give you an idea of the condition of your optical molds.
(10) Adjust the mold until the optical parts meet your satisfaction.
20.How can Kemal ensure the quality of my optical project?
Kemal has extensive experience in the production of optical molds to ensure the success of your optical projects.
The steel, the polish, the injection molding process, and the structural design of the molds are the key elements that affect the quality of your optical project.
(1) For the optical part, we usually use NAK80 as the cavities material, but if time and cost permit, we can consider using S136 quenching treatment, the polishing effect will be much better, Kemal selects the steel of the brand and has the certificate to ensure the quality of your mold steel.
(2) The choice of material is of course important, but even good mold steel must be combined with superb polishing techniques. Kemal has a unique polishing method, using copper and drilling plaster to reciprocate grinding on the surface of the steel, smoothing out the convexity of the steel surface before polishing, which can effectively ensure the polishing effect of the mold, thus ensuring the quality of the optical products.
(3) A good injection molding process is an effective way to ensure product quality. Kemal’s injection molding engineers have many years of practical experience and can find problems in the injection molding and solve them in time, so that can save your valuable time on the optical project.
(4) A reasonable mold design is also a key factor in the success of the product.
Kemal has a wealth of experience in the manufacture of plastic molds and has knowledge of optical technology and optical precision concepts. we can be a reliable partner for your optical projects.
21. Why choose Kemal as my optical project partner?
(1). Kemal has been specializing in plastic injection molds and product manufacturing for over 25 years.
(2). Optical molds from mold design to processing to assembly, with rich practical experience.
(3). Kemal has its own cleanroom injection molding workshop with an ISO9001 certificate.
(4). Kemal has high technology and experienced design engineers who can perform optical design, product structure design, tool design, finite element analysis, and mold flow analysis excellently.
(5). Kemal has sophisticated equipment, which is controlled and monitored by a computer to adjust key process parameters in time for automated production, effectively guaranteeing the precision of the machining.
(6). A dedicated project manager is arranged for your optical project to provide one-stop service, from product development, mold making, and mass production, to provide you with comprehensive service so that you can develop the market without any worries.
(7). Kemal has a dedicated after-sales team to help you solve any problems with optical molds and parts, and provide technical life support.